Joy and Cleo

Joy and Cleo
Friends, Americans, cat lovers, lend me your ears!

Welcome

I have called this blog “Mints for the Mind” because it is my hope that the things that I share will be to your mind as a mint is to your mouth, leaving it feeling cool, clean, and refreshed. Some things may be like starlight mints, some like Mentos, some like BreathSavers, and some like Altoids. Sometimes they may be, instead, more like sourballs, and for those times I ask, in advance, your forgiveness.

22 March 2008

James Bond

Had a dream. I don't remember most of it. I'm in this northern country that seemed like a miniature Scandinavian Canada. I'm a different me and I had a purpose there, but I can't remember what...putting on a convention of some sort...something to do with some kind of event? There is water and boats, some of it very much working boats rather than the nice pretty, touristy things. [Ya know writing this now I am remembering something that came before this about alien invaders, a resistance, and such, but it is very tenuous and it doesn't matter, I think.] Anyway, in this dream I end up sitting down and having a conversation with Pierce Brosnan!

The only topic of conversation that I remember is why people like James Bond. So here I am, in this dream, sitting down at an outside table, on a very nice day, telling Pierce Brosnan why people like James Bond (he asked!). I actually can't remember any of the reasons, but here are the ones that come to mind:
  • He fights against incredible odds...and overcomes. (Luke 10:19; Rom 8:37; 1 John 2:14; 4:4; 5:4)
  • He is ruthlessly persistent...implacable. (Heb 3:14, 12:1)
  • The bad guys are, well, really bad...evil, in fact. (Eph 6:12)
  • He is fighting for something bigger than himself, even if not to save the world, which he often is, then for his country/kingdom. (Mt 19:29; 1 Cor 9:23; 2 Cor 4:5; 2 Thes 1:5; 2 Tim 1:8)
  • He puts it all on the line. (Rev 12:11; Gal 2:19-20; Col 3:3; )
  • He is handsome, smooth, tough, resourceful, etc.,...what's not to like? (Ps 139:14; Zeph 3:17; Eph 2:10; 6:10)
  • He rescues people. (Luke 4:18-19)
  • He is a team player. (I Cor 12; Eph 4)
  • He gets the girls. (Sorry, no scriptures for this one.)

With the exception of the last, I see a lot of parallels with what Christians should be like spiritually. (What, did the scriptures give me away!?) Okay, even the last, if only one girl, not many, since I believe that God's will is for most of us to marry. The first two things are quite related; Bond wins, in part, because he does not give up, ever. I could go on, but I don't want to spend all day on this right now...

Oh, scriptures references above are not exhaustive.

No comments: